Warner Bros. is developing a new Harry Potter game, which has some developers worried
- Details of a new Warner Bros. video game centered around the “Harry Potter” franchise.
- The open-world game is reportedly on track to be released in 2021, according to Polygon.
- Early footage from the game leaked in 2018.
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s Avalanche Software — a Utah-based studio that helped created the Disney Infinity series, is developing the game, according to Polygon.
- The game will be available on multiple platforms, including next generation consoles like the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, according to Polygon.
- Gamers will take control of wizards within the game.
Backlash to the game
- There’s some worries over the game, though, according to Bloomberg. The team of developers are worried about author J.K. Rowling’s recent comments, which “were widely viewed as transphobic,” according to Bloomberg.
- “The situation made some members of the team uncomfortable and sparked private discussions among staff over the pandemic water cooler, the workplace communication app Slack.”
- Felicia Grady, managing editor of the popular Harry Potter fan site MuggleNet, told Bloomberg that Rowling’s recent comments may hinder excitement around the game.
- She said: “Based on what I’ve seen from fans, I do believe that Rowling’s comments have had some effect on the level of excitement they have for the Harry Potter RPG or other upcoming content. We’ve seen comments from fans who no longer wish to support Rowling or the brand financially.”